The purpose of the Commission is to promote international cooperation and to coordinate programmes in research, services and capacity-building, in order to learn more about the nature and resources of the ocean and coastal areas and to apply that knowledge for the improvement of management, sustainable development, the protection of the marine environment, and the decision-making processes of its Member States. (IOC Statutes, Article 2.1)
IOC's High Level Objectives
The IOC is working to achieve its Vision through the following High-Level Objectives:
- Healthy ocean and sustained ocean ecosystem services;
- Effective warning systems and preparedness for tsunamis and other ocean-related hazards;
- Resilience to climate change and contribution to its mitigation;
- Scientifically-founded services for the sustainable ocean economy;
- Foresight on emerging ocean science issues.