Coordinated by IOC-UNESCO, the Global Tsunami Warning System plays a critical role in protecting lives. The IOC-UNESCO Tsunami Programme supports Member States in assessing tsunami risk, implementing Tsunami Early Warning Systems (EWS) and in educating communities at risk about preparedness measures. With the support of Tsunami Service Providers and Tsunami Information Centers, IOC-UNESCO helps Member States in assessing tsunami risk, implementing Tsunami EWS and in educating communities at risk about preparedness measures.
Tsunami Service Providers (TSP)
Centres that monitor seismic and sea level activity and issues timely tsunami threat information within an Intergovernmental Coordination Group (ICG) framework to National Tsunami Warning Centres/Tsunami Warning Focal Points and other TSPs operating within an ocean basin. The NTWCs/TWFPs may use these products to develop and issue tsunami warning for their countries. TSPs may also issue Public messages for an ocean basin and act as National Tsunami Warning Centres providing tsunami warnings for their own countries. Several ICG Tsunami Service Providers have been established.
- PTWC: Pacific Tsunami Warning Center
Mediterranean Sea and North Eastern Atlantic
- CENALT: National Tsunami Warning Center
- INGV: Italy National Centre for geophysics and volcanology
- IPMA: Portuguese Sea and Atmosphere Institute
- KOERI: Turkey Kandili Observatory and Earthquake Research Institute of Istanbul
- NOA: Greece Hellenic National Tsunami Warning Center National Observatory of Athens (NOA)
Tsunami Information Centers (TIC)
Centers that provide education, outreach, technical and capacity building assistance to Member States and the public in preventing, preparing, and mitigating measures for tsunamis. Among other activities, the centers manage post event performance surveys, serve as a resource for the development, publication, and distribution of tsunami education and preparedness materials and information on tsunami occurrences, and may support risk assessment and mitigation activities. A Tsunami Information Centre (TIC) has been established in each of the regional tsunami warning systems within the Intergovernmental Coordination Group (ICG) framework.
- CTIC: Caribbean Tsunami Information Center
- ITIC: International Tsunami International Center
- IOTIC: Indian Ocean Tsunami Information Center
- NEAMTIC: North-Eastern Atlantic, Mediterranean and connected seas Tsunami Information Centre
To advise the IOC governing bodies on coordinated development of warning and mitigation system for tsunamis and other hazards related to sea level that are of common interest to all the ICGs, the IOC Assembly at it 24th Session (Resolution XXIV-14) established a Working Group on Tsunamis and Other Hazards Related to Sea-Level Warning and Mitigation Systems (TOWS-WG).